Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Geese Paintings...Flight Preparation

I was asked by a local sushi restaurant to adorn their walls with my paintings.  A feather in my hat, why not!

After casing out the set-up of the restaurant, which walls are painted with some intense colors, I decided that my Canada Geese paintings would stand out nicely against a solid red background.

Canada Geese I

                                                                      Canada Geese II

I did not want to encase my geese paintings in this instance.  I thought putting in a frame would limit the visual presentation of freedom.  Besides, my " Canada Geese I " painting had the top goose too close to the upper margin and feeling a little claustrophobic,  therefore framing this painting would further exacerbate this shortcoming.  http://www.facebook.com/tien.c.lohI therefore mounted these 2 paintings on 3-ply plywood.  The plywood seemed stiff enough to handle the job, but after the mounting had dried, it showed a little warping.  I therefore glued spline pieces along the backside edges of the plywood to stiffen and flatten it.  It worked like a charm.



I wanted to display the 2 geese works as a pair.  I visualized some degrees of interaction between the 2 pieces, i.e. the relative placement of the 2 pieces to tell a cohesive story.  I came to the concept of displaying them as floats, each with a different ride height, such that the pieces could be overlapped.  The larger piece would be riding higher the the smaller one, allowing a spatial perception of the smaller piece being farther away.  This was accomplished by building collars of different heights and attaching them to the back of the plywood.




Here's how the display looked  in the sushi restaurant.

No comments: