Wednesday, March 22, 2017

One thing leads to another

For my Chinese brush painting demonstration I also showed how to paint traditional roof tops.  Again it was the repetitive pattern of the roof tiles that intrigued me in the first place.  I deem that a fun way to practice writing lines.  Through my research, I found these single camel hump like roof line, which interestingly enough, is considered to be in the Wood Element.


What I required of myself was that the lines be discrete, yet loose.  I needed the lines, especially the tiles, to be expressive.  I didn't want them to appear to be pre-fabricated.  I wanted the hand-laid appearance.


Thus I decided to get serious and attempted to paint for real


I also tried a more impressionistic look, one that is comprised of broad dabs arranged in a geometric fashion, suggesting roof tops in a village.





No comments: