Saturday, March 4, 2017

Lines

I'm interested in creating something with lines primarily.  I just can't get away from the lasso of representational forms, even as I am contemplating an image that is strong in graphic nuances.
What comes to mind is a setting of reeds shooting straight up from the water.


I start with the backstage, laying a row of lines as the spine, hoping to develop from that skeleton.



The straight lines look a little too austere for my taste, so blobs of ink are also applied, to break up the
pattern.

In the end I can't resist the urge to put in some shading, to suggest the water surface.  Like I said, I have difficulty in producing something that resembles a simple graphic design.


In a way this exercise is not unlike my attempt on "Finding my roots".  They all started with a premise of lines, and the relationship amongst them; although this one wears a much lighter cloak, in thought and in appearance.

1 comment:

Guan said...

I like it, Tim! I thought the lines are 'nicely' done, a bit abstract, but not too much. The 'shadings' made the painting a bit 'softer', not as 'austere', as you would say.