Thursday, January 29, 2009

Moon Lit Creek- an academic debate





This is a painting about a poem, where the verse reads: "The moonlight is shining on pines, the the clear creek runs over rocks"


This finished work sparked quite a lengthy discussion in my painting class. The main criticism was that the painting was too dark, unbecoming of Chinese painting.


My thoughts on my work/composition is that I am trying to depict a night scene, therefore the dark tones. I am trying to create depth by painting a darker backdrop of a cliff ( inspired by the Multnomah Falls in the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon). I chose the dark backdrop also to accentuate the ribbon of water, which acts as a lead-in to the subject matters. I painted the upper pines as dead wood, to show the ruggedness, and the stillness of the cold night. The pink foliage on the right is used to contrast with the starkness to the left (common practice in Chinese thematic treatment, the so called Ying and Yang) I left the bottom of the fall blank, so it shows up as illuminated spray. The bottom of the dead tree trunks are also lit, defining the path of moon light. Finally the light from the moon hits the tips of pine needles on the lower left ( I added titanium to my brush for that effect) and the running creek, whose presence is augmented by the dark rocks in the stream. I also used a warm color tone to offset the cold shroud of moon light.


I might add that this painting has a rather stunning effect if displayed with a halogen beam on the water, this is to exploit the translucent property of the Xuan paper. This is why Chinese paintings do not as a rule, use white pigments to describe water.

No comments: