Saturday, October 31, 2009

BEST OF BOTH WORLDS






I had a pretty successful open studios with the Portland Open Studios tour. My number of visitors were down from last year, but interestingly enough, a lot of my visitors this year are people in the trade. I actually learned at lot from my visitors.


As was publicized in the Asian Reporter, and I had posted in my blogs, the new "direction" that I am exploring, is to mount Xuan paper on canvas. I feel that this allows me to exploit the dispersing and diffusing property of the Xuan paper and also the texture of the canvas. My signature piece this year was "Come Up Here" and it was a compilation of these 2 substrates. I have also posted a piece titled "Snow Scene", where I was also trying out my ancient secret Chinese solution, and that work was also done as Xuan paper on canvas. Both of these pieces were sold during the open studios, and this format was received with positive feedback.


I had expressed the wish of finishing my work with some coating so that it will have an appearance of an oil painting. Well I've received numerous suggestions and I've been experimenting with these suggestions and the results are fantastic.


The bottom image is a close-up of the varnished Xuan paper on Canvas. It absolutely has the feel and look of real canvas work. The top 2 pictures are side by side comparisons. The one in the middle is the original painting. The one on top has the varnish finish. Notice how the coating brings out more color depth and detail. I LOVE IT !!



No comments: