Friday, September 17, 2010

Ghosts From Yesteryears

I decided to clean out my pigsty in preparation for the upcoming Portland Open Studios tour and came across some stashed away Opus Magnums from my past.  Oh my gosh these were done in 2003.  I remembered buying a box of water color tubes out of the blue and a booklet of papers and ventured into the world of painting. It appeared that I made no attempts to mix the colors, not surprising since I did not have a color pallet. It almost seemed like I painted straight out of the tubes.  Interestingly I was using aluminium foil as a surface for mixing colors when I first took lessons.




These images are like your baby pictures.  So untouched and natural.  You can tell that they are infantile, and yet soooooo innocent

.
.
What do I know about portrait painting, or painting for that matter? Absolutely zilch! I just grabbed a pencil and away we go. This work showed a lot of patience
I couldn't help but wonder what would happen if I was to attempt to paint with watercolor again.  I could not find my water color supply, so I used my Chinese brush painting pigments instead.  However, I did lay this down on water color pad.  One thing I do notice is that my pallet has gotten a lot narrower.  I am not flinging with as much color as before.  Could it be that my eyesight is failing and that my cones are disappearing ?!   It is indeed interesting to see the comparisons.



1 comment:

helen said...

Well you have come a long way - as they say. I like those early images.