Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Oregon Coast

Well this piece is not exactly what one would call Chinese brush painting.  The only role the Chinese brush had was to lay the foundation of the jetty, the beach and the sky.    I particularly like the effect on the jetty by the way.  This was done on water color paper; and I really like the texture.  I also helps by laying down the different tones on paper so I can concentrate on building the details.


The brush work was done mainly with ink with indigo for the water and the sky; and ink with burnt sienna for the foreground.

I then work out the details with charcoal.  My skill level did not allow me to do the rolling crests on Xuan paper.  I had difficulty creating just the right empty spaces for the waves, so I resorted to charcoal on watercolor paper.

I found the eraser to be my Best Friend for this painting!!

No comments: