Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Don't Throw The Baby Out With The Bath Water



Sometimes ( actually more frequently than I wished ) I am faced with the dilemma of what to do with a bad painting that has a bright spot or two.  What do I do with a Delicious Apple that shows scab on one side?  It would be such a waste to throw out the whole fruit.

My solution to my dilemma is cropping.  Since I mount my work on custom frames, I am not bound by any conventional dimensions.  I need not be concerned about having to meet certain predetermined sizes.   So if surgery is called for, surgery it will get.



I  made a couple of  L-shaped borders out of foam boards.  These borders can now be placed over the work in question and I can move them about to see if any part of the otherwise bad painting could be saved. 




No comments: