Friday, October 10, 2014

Appraising my courtyard

I've been looking at my last etude, my interpretation of a formal courtyard; casting those intense scrutinizing stares, amidst the occasional casual glances.   I found something.

I believe the vertical post on the right is too domineering.  It suffocates the painting. I should do the painting all over again, paying attention to what I deemed was wrong.  But I just can't motivate myself to do that.  I lack that discipline.  Rather than investing my energy in re-painting this piece of work, I thought I would cheat and do a digital correction and see if my assessment is correct.

before
 


so I photoshopped the lower portion of the post away and I really think that did the trick.  It helped to open up the painting.  It can breathe now.  I'll pursue my correction when I am in the mood again.
 
after
 

No comments: