Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Tree Grooming

I dug up an old, unfinished painting of 3 trees.  My last painting exercise made me do it.





The crown of the main tree is filled in to make it look fuller.  The main trunks are painted over with a really rich ink that I found.  Giving the tree added dimension and a cogent presence.   This added "blackness" contrasts very nicely with the lighter strokes, and plays up the thin white margins left by the alum solution.


The cluster on the right side of the painting was actually painted on the back of the paper.  Ink was allowed to bleed through, forming a somewhat blurry and washed out image.



I used my brush wash to selectively douse some branch clusters, forming shadows and adding to the three dimensional presentation.



Just realized that I started out the year with this tree.  I suppose it is fitting to end the year with it too.

 
 

No comments: