Monday, August 3, 2015

Roof Tops

I have this image of an aerial view of a narrow street, flanked by roof tops.

These roof tops would be rather uniform in shape and size.  The variety one might encounter in a row house district or housing projects.  The tarry roofs contrasting with white sidings of buildings should form an interesting composition.  I thought.

I proceeded to lay down my framework.


I decided to install flat roof dormers ( or sky lights ) onto my structures to increase the facets on my painting.  I envisioned the added surface angles would make the painting less flat in appearance.   A gable fronted dormer would be nice too;  the caveat was I couldn't sort out the various surfaces with my brush.


I was not unhappy with the resulting painting.  I did this work on my semi-sized paper, with a big brush such that when applied side-tip I could cover a large swath of ground.  I wanted to be able to still discern some semblance of a brushstroke, albeit in this quasi contemporary, geometric rendition.

After I had time to digest my initial effort, I started seeing my mistakes.



1. The roof truss of these two buildings should not be on the same straight line and should be staggered as per the red lines.  It would have to be one single roof with no separation between the 2 buildings if the truss was joined.

2. The compound angle line of the two mitred  roofs were wrong.  The line joining the 2 roof surfaces should extend from the apex of the roof  ridge  to the bottom fascia, as indicated by the red line.  The way it was portrayed, midspan on a roof, was not possible.

3.  The first building on the right seemed to have a 7 o'clock orientation vs the 8 or 9 o'clock on the rest.  One could rationalize by saying the street took a turn there.  But I knew better.

Back to the drawing board.

No comments: