Friday, November 6, 2015

Guilin Landscape

I know I'm getting old.

I'm getting forgetful, for sure, but that's not it.  I'm actually reminiscing quite often now, more so than ever before.

I was trying to relive some of  the trips I've taken.  One of which was to Guilin, considered to be the most scenic area in the world.  Somehow I was able to locate the obligatory guide book that I purchased while over there, and started to thumb through that, and fill my head with memories again, augmented by the pictures.

Most people might be impressed with the ribbon like strands of strange hills and mountains, rock pillars and conical lime stones.  For me, it was the bamboo groves.  I simply had no idea that groves of bamboo would look nothing like bamboo.  I used to question and doubt my teachers when they depicted  bamboo as rungs on a ladder.  Now I understand.




I also thought of this painter, Mr. Bai Xueshi (1915-2011) who had painted quite a few Guilin landscapes.  I decided to study his painting expression and tried to emulate it.


I picked the semi-sized Xuan again because I needed to be able to layer on my ink; since I had no idea on how to control and render the different ink tones. The un-sized raw Xuan would be too messy for my tentative brush strokes.

For the groves I would dab in the shape of the plant(s) first and then write in the infrastructures.  I was able to be more expressive this way.


After I was done, I thought the painting looked a little stark and cold, so I warmed it up a bit with my notorious coffee.  The sepia was applied mainly to the edges of the mist, and seemed to impart a little drama.

Then I realized that one of the bamboo seemed to line up with the edge of a mountain in the background and the appearance was a little disconcerting, as if I was looking at a scar.



I am sure this was due to my incompetency.  I was not able to distant the foreground from the background with my ink tone.

There was only one thing to do.  Make the mountain bigger.


After this reconstructive surgery, the scar is gone.

No comments: