Wednesday, February 24, 2016

My Suliao Xuan Ban In Action

I recently exhibited my paintings at a venue where there was a vast expanse of  windows, thus I was able to capitalize on the Sulian Xuan Ban format by exploiting  the back lit lighting.




















I must admit, the effect was simply stunning.  I didn't want to gloat but it was so satisfying to see the idea came into fruition.

These works have a totally different nuance when viewed at daytime.   At the reception a visitor asked me if I had entertained the idea of putting a light behind these paintings for the back lit effect.

Honestly I have.  However I dismissed that idea like a hot potato.  Placing a lamp behind these paintings would take away the organic aesthetics of the works, rendering them rather ostentatious, resembling gift shop merchandise.

I guess sometimes we just have to wait for the stars to line up.  It's more meaningful that way.



No comments: