Sunday, May 8, 2016

Who! Where?

Our local educational channel aired a program on owls.  It turned out that a huge forest park close-by is actually a habitat for a certain species of owl.  This particular species is not nocturnal and can be seen during the daytime, its inclination for secrecy notwithstanding. 

I've tried to venture out and see it for myself but have not had much luck.

I thought of a painting of the woods that I did some time ago.  I thought that painting was missing something.  For one thing the painting looked a little anemic.  I had wanted to depict the ambience of woods in scattered light, punctuated by the crisscrossing trail.  What a perfect opportunity for me to jazz it up with a couple of owls.

So I filled in more foliage to make the painting look fuller, and  to give it a more structured feeling.  I also painted in a wash of very light dark green, barely perceptible; perhaps as a subliminal stamping that the scene is of a woods.  A couple of owl was inserted atop of tree stands.


Can you find the owls?

This following is the "before" look of the painting




No comments: