Sunday, December 18, 2016

Finding My Roots, Chapter Two

I've been devoting much of my time working on the banyan tree root painting.  As I said, I was vacillating between  the blotchy one and the more line drawn one.  I tried to do both of them simultaneously but found myself shunning the more complicated line drawn version.  I still think this version is devoid of emotion and it looks sterile.

I thought I've reached a good stopping place for the blotchy one, as I've shown on my last blog.  There was no more excuse not to spend more time on the line drawn one.

The presence of the gravel granules helped to untangle the messy roots in the last painting and I would like to continue to pursue that effect.  Why not leaves too?  It's just as likely to find them by the roots on the ground.


Thus I sketched in a couple of them; sort of reserving a spot.  I would work them into the overall ink tone as I get there.

Here's an example of a few leaves that have found their places,


I was allowing my brush to guide me, going with the flow.  I suppose this must have been very close to jamming with a group of musicians, improvising my cadenza.

Then I noticed the few rootlets in the dark depression seemed to end abruptly.  Since I was in the vicinity, I adjusted the ink gradient a bit such that they appear to fade into the ground. I am referring to the area at the tip of the black V,


So this is what I have to show for a couple of days of honest work,



No comments: