Sunday, February 11, 2018

Painting a dog at the cultural fair

The day of reckoning is finally here.  The cultural fair is here.  Time to put all the hype and theory into practice.

The event was preceded by a news promo blip from a local TV station.  I had my 5 seconds of fame.



The day started off with the set-up, when the facility was still dimly lit and cold.



Before long, people were filling the chairs, eager to start painting the dog.  I am just going to shut up and post the few photos I had.














It was a grueling 5 and a half hours of almost non-stop talking over the drums and cymbals of the lion dance, and being on my feet the whole time.  I had my past job as a pharmacist to be thankful for;  I was used to be on my feet 12 hours a day.

I must emphasize again how positive this whole experience had been.  Not because it worked out beautifully.  Not because of the accolades that the project received.  It was the pure joy and satisfaction and pride that the participants showed.  Every one of them effervesced with such new found confidence.



I added a new element to my program this year.  I brought along a chop and let the participants stamp their own seal of approval.  The wording on the chop says " Still Having A Heart Like A Child".   I thought it was fitting for a painting of a cuddly dog.  This simple act of stamping not only validated the works as their own, but it also decorated the painting with that familiar Chinese veil.

My only regret is that I don't have more pictures to post.  I was too caught up at the moment and not much free time to hit the shutter.


No comments: