Monday, June 18, 2018

A Quorum

Having enjoyed painting my goose amongst water grass, I thought of another painting that I could toy with.  I suppose I am blessed enough to reside in an area where I have ample opportunities to interact with Canada geese, to the extent that some of them would peck on the door to beg for food.  At times there are 4 different families with their offspring borrowing my backyard as their playground.  They are my endearing painting inspirations.

Other members of my family unfortunately do not share my fondness for these birds.  All they can relate to is the odious landmines of geese droppings on the lawn.  I consider them natural fertilizers, and I have yet to catch salmonella.

What I see is a gathering of geese at some wetland.  Bodies of water of varying depths flooding what used to be plowed fields; punctuated by short rows of grass, weed and what not.  Ambiguous silhouettes of hay and implements and dilapidated outhouses dot the frame. Birds are wading on their short stubby legs, swimming, fighting, bathing, less than mellifluous squawking,  veiled by the muslin of saturated water vapor, and the intense amber light of the setting sun, with ribbons of glistening reflections as garnish.  And yes, the hard-to-miss white flickers on their chins and tails as they carry on with their activities.

Such is the setting.






while the paper is still moist I wrote in portions of the trees, such that portions of the tree is visible through the mist








No comments: