Friday, November 4, 2022

The Art of Rejection

Having my works adjudicated for exhibitions is one way to find out if my works fit in or not.  There are only two possible outcomes; being accepted or being denied.  I am sharing one such thumbs-down experience here.  Isn't it fascinating that rejection is also an art form.  283 words were used to describe the two letter word "no".


Thank you so much for applying for inclusion in the upcoming exhibition.  I appreciate the time, thought, and energy you put into your work and your entry.

Unfortunately the above mentioned work was not selected at this time. Please be aware that the jury process is blind, meaning that images are reviewed and artist's names are not revealed until the process is complete (this method works best).

This years' call (after 8 tough rounds) is punctuated with an ethereal quality shrouded with elements of nature and the static interruptions of technology! Additionally, elements from all verum themes seem to have shown up and their arrival strikes a haunting reflective sense of the 'in-between'. Notes of the past and future collide through abstract expressions that balance the entirety with biomorphic interpretations that speak of worlds (known and unknown)!

As I am sure you are aware, in the jury process a grouping becomes relevant and works are selected for their intrinsic aesthetic value and appeal, but also (as importantly) for their relationship to the other chosen works (and the theme as a whole). It is a truly strange phenomenon, but I reject so many works that I admire (this happens because of my creative curatorial process where I elect to focus on a collective voice that emerges around the theme).

This jury process was particularly challenging (with so many visionary and skilled works submitted) and this rejection does not reflect the high quality, time, energy, and care of the work you submitted.

I am so appreciative that you gave me the chance to spend time considering your work for this exhibition. It was truly an honor (perhaps more so than ever before)!

with profound gratitude,


Hence the rhetorical question is: would you rather receive a simple one word "no" or a 283 words embellished "no"?  I must admit that I have problem understanding some of the terminologies and phrases used in this short essay. They pose a striking resemblance to wine tasting notes, which I also fail to understand by the way.  Allow me to indulge you in this exercise by substituting a couple of words from the original text:

This years' vintage is punctuated with an ethereal quality shrouded with elements of nature and the static interruptions of technology! Additionally, elements from all vines seem to have shown up. and their arrival strikes a haunting reflective sense of the 'in-between'. Notes of the past and future collide through abstract expressions that balance the entirety with biomorphic interpretations that speak of the palate!

Obviously I am out of my elements here.  

No comments: