Friday, February 2, 2024

Water and dragon

I am running out of time to carry out my tradition of doing a painting for the Chinese New Year.  I do that for self amusement and I also render the painting into a digital greeting card so I can send it out to my friends and family.  Eventually I hope to have a collection of all the 12 Zodiac animals.  

Dragon is the protagonist for the upcoming New Year.  I am reminded of an old saying that proclaims "the water doesn't need to be deep; it will have spiritual energy if a dragon resides in it"  "水不在深, 有龍則靈".  Thus I am ruminating my thoughts around that theme.

Obviously the first thing is to try and paint water.  My hypothesis is that the dragon would be fierce, and it is not going to be doing a free style swim, but more like a butterfly stroke.

So the water should be splashing and churning. 

I am trying to augment the void spaces by drawing in white lines using a white gel pen.


I am not liking it.  Too contrived.

So I am using a little more restraint and patience and also using a rather dry brush to try to work the void spaces now.  I am trying to learn from the last attempt.


So a dry brush is definitely the way to go.  I can control the bleed much better to control the shape of the voids.  I do get the sense of waves crashing.

How about a little color and attitude?  Just go for broke?




No comments: