Friday, February 6, 2009

SPLASH



The Beaverton Arts Commission had an open call for artists to submit their works for an exhibition at the Beaverton Library. I had submitted 4 pieces and this is the only one accepted.



This was indeed a new experience for me. I was experimenting with the style and technique of my art work.



The style is kind of abstract.... it is Xueye ( paint with feeling, thought) for sure and the technique is to paint around the voids. I was experimenting with my own concoction of a masking solution. I settled with alum and milk. The painting was created with controlled flicks of the masking solution on Xuan paper. I then painted around the splashing, forming my water and rock and boulder. Title of the piece is called "SPLASH" and I am quite happy with the impression of movement, and a palpable sense of energy. I am especially gratified that I could still paint the rock and boulders using traditional Chinese technique. I feel that I have amalgamated pretty nicely the East with the West.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! It is a nice amalgam of east & west! It was a pleasure to meet you at the Beaverton Arts Commission event. I will pass your blog along to my mother-in-law.

Tim 陸天樞 said...

Thank you, the pleasure was mine