Saturday, February 21, 2009

ABOVE THE CLOUDS


I've decided to try the Portland Open Studios again this year and try my luck again. Above The Clouds is one of the entries I submitted for jury. The subject matter and technique is quite traditional Chinese Xueyi Landscape, using the wet wash method for clouds. One thing to note is the choice of color in this painting. I've conveyed a fossil-ed feel to the rock columns to show the hardness of the masses. This is done to offset the relative lack of "chuen" (meaning rubbing, usually to impart texture) on some surfaces. I've used a little titanium with the opaque greens to make the trees really stand out, to contrast with the hard landscape. I've also positioned the gazebo on the lower peak on purpose. The upper peak had steps along the flank of the hill, but leads to no obvious structure, unlike the hill on the bottom, where the serpentine trail leads to the gazebo. Perhaps the vista on the top hill is obscured ????

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Tim, I really like this painting. It's also intriguing to read how you create your art, the intellect and thought that goes into it. Well done my friend.

Dave