Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Rice Fields finished product ?


Received word from Portland Open Studios that I am " IN " this year, suffice to say, I am elated. Went through my pile of paper on the floor, picking projects that are half done and see which one might have potentials to be Open Studios material.



Back to the Rice Fields again. Like any good Chinese Brush Painting student, I finished composing my work, did the necessary "chuen", laid down my shading with light ink etc. We were taught that coloring does not make your painting "better", it merely brings into life what we have laid down on paper. In other words, everything needs to be finished first, and coloring is the last step.

After several layers of colors and washing, I ended up with the painting on top. I must say that I did not like it at all. I have tried to soften the roofs by applying a dark plum color to it, using side tip brushing. This did make the roofs less "harsh", less "rigid", but the entire housing compound seemed totally detached from the painting. It lacked "connection", it did not belong. I looked like an island in the sea. The trees and shrubs/woods at the bottom of the painting look like two flat ribbons. The rigid lines at the lower left corner of the housing compound looked out of place, and wanted to lead you away from the painting; a most uncomfortable feeling. Perhaps the corner is too harsh?

I let the painting dry and looked at it for a whole afternoon, thinking. Trying to understand what I have put down on paper. It finally dawned on me that I was too busy recording, and forgot about creating.

I started to back lit the trees, because light is coming from behind the paper.
I high lighted the shrubs and trees into distinct clumps to add dimension and shape to the "flat ribbons". I re dotted the dark areas with ink and dark plum ( I love using dark plum color; it helps to transition between dark and light areas ) to make the high lights work. All of a sudden the foreground looked a lot more interesting. The void on the lower edge of the painting was meant to be just voids, because I did not apply color there. But because of the color
bleed from applying the dark plum and green pigments, the bottom "void" took on a feel of a glassy surface of a pond. So I added a reflection of the tree on the right, to make it look like a pond.
This was a happy coincidence. The pond was not in my original thoughts. It just happened, and I think it added a lot to the painting. Now I have a foreground, the edge of the pond, then the commune, then the fields, then the distant hills, then the smoggy skies. All of a sudden, everything seemed "connected" I also softened the lower left "corner" by adding a couple of trees on site and by laying down reflections of the houses on the flooded fields. I also darkened the lower fields and gave the entire painting a green wash to integrate the colors.
Doesn't the painting look a lot better now?






No comments: