Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Rice Fields


Bought some new paper lately, Korean Hemp Paper and I've been itching to try this out.

The paper is very unlike the Xuan paper in that it behaves almost like sized paper. Has a waxy feel to it and does not absorb water readily. I found that out when I splash some brush washing water on the paper ( my bad habit) and I was able to blot it up.

I wanted to paint the rice fields in China, flooded with water and surrounded by columnous hills that are quite characteristic of the southwestern part of China and Vietnam. I also had photos as references for this endeavour.


The composition is not your typical Chinese painting with the scattered focal points. My painting here has a vanishing point, definitely speaks of the western genre. I wanted to have a play of light values, by showing the reflections of the distant hills in the flooded rice fields, such that the massive fields behaves almost like water surface. I wanted the geometric array of roofs of the village commune to be contrasting with the strange looking hills in the background.

I painted the distant hills with wet wash, and when they are almost dry, I went over the contour with darker ink. The ink diffuses out and gives one the effect of vegetation. If I was to add silhouettes of trees etc on the hills, they would look too deliberate, and takes away the Xieyi feel of the painting. The fatal mistake I made in this painting is that I was " filling in " the roofs with concentrated ink, almost like painting by the numbers. Whereas this looks neat an tidy, but is totally devoid of any artistic feel to it. This is what happens when we use a 2 dimensional photograph as reference. Somehow we still need to portray a 3 dimensional look. I've often talk to other beginners about the shortcomings of looking too closely at a photograph, and this is a good example of what NOT TO DO. We need to be able to digest the image and translate into our own interpretation.

No comments: