Sunday, May 3, 2009

Toying with Ancient Chinese Secret Solution




Ever since I had some success with my Ancient Chinese Secret Formula ( refer to my blog on "SPLASH"), I've been itching to embark on another project using the same technique.
I found the work of a contemporary Chinese artist and I liked the way he represented a boat slipping through white waters so I decided to emulate his painting.
I am faced with the challenge that what I am doing is Xieyi, the painting style where expression and ambiance assumes utmost importance. My downfall is that often I am so caught up in details that I lose sight of the big picture. So how do I re-create this energy of white waters amidst all the intricacies of painting waves.
I know I wanted to use my alum solution for the white, foamy part of the churning water, so I started out by positioning the boat on my paper, and penciling in the crests of the waves.

The reason I had to pencil in the highlights is that once this solution dries, I don't know which spots I have laid the elixir, so it would be very difficult for me to draw a cohesive painting. I also mixed some salad dressing with my secret solution to give it a thicker consistency, so that it is more visible.

All this time I am taking extra precaution to be not too cautious!! What an oxymoron !!!!!!

I don't want the water to look or feel static and stagnant. I want it to come alive!

I now wet the entire paper with light ink solution. The areas where I laid the secret solution now shows up as white greasy marks. This is almost like working in darkroom in photography, to see the image emerging from your developer. Here is an exercise in patience and creativity....... to define the outlines and the shapes of the white waters.

My solution laden spots did not show up prominently enough so I decided to augment them by laying on more layers of that solution. I raised my paper against the light so I can see those bare spots better, and I went to work on adding extra layers of this solution to those areas.

Now that I have the white foamy crests down, I need to darken the surrounding areas to create the contrast. I am having problem visualising the "structure" of these crests. I know I can treat them like rows of hills, as if I was doing Xieyi landscape painting. So leave the ridge bright, "chuen" the rest, and shade the valleys..... piece of cake. Alas, I have never seen so many little hills undulating and moving in front of me........ it couldn't be the Syrah that I am drinking, could it? Information overload, my hard drive hangs!

No comments: