Sunday, June 7, 2009

SNOW SCENE


I am having so much fun with my
Ancient Chinese Secret Solution that I am itching to try different things with it, especially when given the proper provocation. The opportunity came when I was shown how to use the alum solution to paint. I did not agree with the application of the technique, nor did I like the paintings, so I've been experimenting some more on my own.
I used straight alum solution. There are a couple of things that I am doing differently this time. Number one, I am painting on the back side of the paper first. Number two, I am mixing ink and color to the alum solution for subsequent detail work to create the layered effect.
So I started with the snow on the trees. Turning the Xuan paper over, start laying down the alum solution where the snow is. Of course I have to have an image of the trees first. While the patches are still wet and can be easily spotted ( unlike the ones I did on the Speedboat painting), I started to layer over different ink tones ( mixed with the alum solution). When these are close to being dry, I turn the Xuan paper over to the proper side, and lay down alum solution with blue (or ink) for detail work. The snow on the ground is done with big fat brush, side tip fashion. I did the water with dark ink to bring out the contrast and make the snow stand out more. Again, the final touch is to use my brush washing water as a wash for the entire piece. Sure it dulled the snow somewhat, but I think it added that intangible dreaminess to the work. What do you think?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Tim,
Love the effects you have created, but the technique seems very complex to someone like me. Have you not thought of writing a book on Chinese paintings and incorporating all your ideas?
Saludos from Spain
George

Tim 陸天樞 said...

thanks george, no I haven't really given that much thought, maybe someday when I am accomplished and my mumblings do mean something.
Tim