Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Crystal Springs Pond

I've taken a little hiatus the last 2 months. I had to cover for vacations, plus I took a vacation also, visiting places like the Bryce Canyon, the Grand Canyon, the California Red Woods and the Oregon Vortex.
Come October I shall have the Portland Open Studios event, which means I better get busy and get some works ready for the show.
In July our little art club did an off location paint out at the Crystal
Springs in the Rhododendron Garden. One of our members is an accomplished water color artist, and she was showing us her craft. I am hoping to get her painting of that day and post it here. Hopefully this will happen in the near future.
Right now, I just want to share with you my rendition of the site. I am taught 3 mantras for on location painting: 1. Gather what you see 2. note what you know 3. create what you like. What that means is that if you just paint exactly what is in your view, then you might as well take a picture with your camera. You need to compile all the different surroundings, views from different angles ( note what you know) and re-arrange the different elements into a cohesive painting of interest.
Here I was captivated by the low hanging branches of a tree, forming almost like a canopy of an amphitheater. There were lots of ducks frolicking, but they were not at the location that I had preferred. So I decided to fit various groups of ducks into this amphitheater and showcase their activities. I had all the branches swaying to the left with the longest branches to the left, to create motion; thus the canopy is heavy but not suffocating. The center pair of ducks were chasing and evading, to contrast with the others who were being nonchalant. The one on the right was made to be a female, with light brown color to contrast with the bright green necks of the male. Instead of painting in the true color of the leaves and reeds I chose to adorn the painting with a warm brownish hue. The tunnel vision like bright center helps to focus on the subject matter and to create energy. One thing I don't like about this painting is the water.... it looks awkward to me now. I wish I had kept it simple, without the crisscrossing crests.

The branches are done in the "double outline" fashion in the Chinese Brush Painting doctrine. The outlines were further emphasized with ink and Burnt Sienna.
Foliage on the branches were given different shades of brown and yellow to create clumps of leaves, following the morphology of the branches.
I could not decide on whether to paint the lower left duck male or female, so the plumage on that duck was somewhere in-between. Oh well!
The color of the rock and the duck which sits on it was left pale to denote foreground.


The branches are now augmented with side branches to make it look full. Otherwise the tree would not look natural.

The water reeds gets several build-ups of body., all the while leaving gaps and empty spaces to show reflected light.




The painting starts out with basic skeleton of the tree canopy, the reeds and the position of the ducks.

Note in subsequent steps my attempts to create motion and serenity at the same time, by selecting a warm temperature and a narrow range of hues., coupled with light value control

No comments: