Saturday, March 12, 2011

Scatter Brain revisited

In my Scatter Brain blog, I mentioned that I got carried away from my original premise, which was a blurry vision of a bridge ( I used a Flying Dutchman  to describe it) set against a lily pond.  Well this brew had been fermenting in my brain for quite a while now.  I finally decided to do something about it.  This time it will be a little more impressionistic, more provocative than descriptive.

To accentuate the "Flying Dutchman", I decided to use a simple warm tone to achieve an overall personality of the painting.  I shall then play with my light values within the confines of this monotone.  I shall paint the lily pads with a saturated tone to set against the foggy image of the bridge and the sky.  I wanted to take advantage of the high contrast neck of the Canadian geese, which complements the flow of the leaves.  Cloud drafts or rain streaks would be used to break up the vast blank space of the sky.  I worked out these details on a plain typing paper.


Everything pretty much went according to plan.  I was being real patient with the sky/background, so I took my time and stained it quite a few times,  intensifying the effect as I went.  Rain streaks was difficult to lay down on moist Xuan.  The streaks would diffuse out too much, so I was happy to make do with light beams peeking through the low clouds.                                                       


(note the flying geese)
Everything went fine until Murphy paid me a visit.  Whilst I was being careful and patient with my washes, I inadvertently splashed some ink onto the sky.  Normally I could blot that off when it was fresh, but I made
the discovery too late;  the ink had fixed.  My innovative brain told me to paint something to hide those splashes.  But what?       How about a few Canadian geese flying overhead;  they would tie in with the pair in the pond nicely.  The problem is that the ink splashes were so much darker than the sky, so I had to paint my flying geese much darker than I would prefer.    I tried to  paint in a few dark clouds but they seemed out of place      After a few attempts, I decided that I better quit while I was ahead.  I felt that I was making the painting worse instead of better,  all because of Murphy.                                                                             
     
                                                               Finally when I mounted the Xuan on canvas, I left all the creases and wrinkles in.    The painting had that feel and look of an antique painting, and I  believe these minute details addsto the ambiance of the painting, albeit not readily perceptible. 


(wrinkled Xuan on canvas)
                                                         

In the end, I am not displeased with this piece of work.  This style of work is particularly suited for the Xuan on canvas mounting.  You really get the benefit of watercolor wash/diffuse effect spliced into the feel of canvas.  In fact I like this one a whole lot better than my original bridge on lotus pond.  Now I just have to get busy making a frame for this piece of work.





No comments: