Sunday, March 6, 2011

Small Wonders

The kids, whom I mentored at their art club  at a middle school showed some pretty amazing works.  We started out by learning a little bit about Chinese brush painting.  They were introduced to the brush and Xuan paper for the first time.  I picked the subject matter of bamboo because it harbors the most basic form of the brush stroke.  The bamboo helps to hone a person's skill on using the center tip; along with varying pressure and ink tone and moisture content, the practitioner can achieve many "happy accidents".

By mentoring these young citizens, I hoped to dispel the notion of China Town art.  I did not want it to be paint by numbers.  Nor did I want it to be stencil work.  At the very minimum,  I wanted the kids to appreciate the techniques involved in using the center tip to effect different shapes.  Of course kids at this age are  a little bit too tender to deal with the so called "virtues" of the bamboo.  Nonetheless, I brought in a live bamboo branch so they could have a first hand tactile connection with the subject.  It is my theory that if you can "feel" it, that feeling can sublime into your work.  My emphasis for these kids was energy over form.  The form would come if one becomes more proficient with the brush, but the spirit still needs to be manifested.

We also did our own mounting of the finished painting.  This allows the first timers to experience the entire process of creating a painting and preserving it.  Interestingly one of the kids  inadvertently tore her painting into halves during the mounting process and was a little distraught.  I was able to mend the halves, perhaps an opportune time to demonstrate how to overcome obstacles, and to remedy mistakes.  Nah, I wasn't that noble, but there is some truth in what I said.

Finally I showed the kids how to cut mats.   I threw in a math problem in the process.  I had the  kids calculate the width of the margins, given the size of the mat and the size of the opening.  I wanted them to be able to at least present their mounted paintings in a matted format, to be able to show off to their parents and friends.  Most importantly, however, is to be able to build a positive self esteem.  To have a sense of accomplishment.  And accomplished, they have!!







The accompanying  pictures are some of the finished works.  (the ones not shown are not because they are not up to snuff, but rather the kids were eager to take them home, before I had a chance to take pictures !)  One must appreciate them not by technical merits ( they had maybe 40 minutes of training ) but from the perspective of a maiden voyage into an alien creative field.

No comments: