Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Beaverton Creek (classic) completion

I know I have done a "what if" scenario by painting in pink leaves/flowers on the trees in the foreground using Photoshop; but that was before most of the incidentals were painted in and colored.
Now that I could see the finish line, I'm having second thoughts.

I am leery that pink might be too flashy.

There's only one way to find out.  I painted a couple of test swatches, one in pink and the other Blue Hue Three.

 

The blue looked nice and seemed to blend in well with the rest of the scenery.  Hence the problem.  It blended in too well and the painting looked ....uninviting.

The pink was uplifting and definitely grabbed my attention.  It worked well as a punctuation mark!  Now the fat lady sings!

 pink it is
 
The objects in the near ground were done mostly "boned"; with outline to give them a more defined, crisp footprint.  I tried to create the sense of a diverse and mixed shrubbery by punching up the color palette and painting in leaves of various species; avoiding the sense of total chaos at the same time.  Fortunately I've been to this place a hundred times and I had a pretty good idea in my head.  As one travels further back into the painting, the images became "boneless", edges were not well defined, and the color became more monochromatic.  I actually employed alum solution to help create the white margins around tree trunks.  This worked particularly well for objects in the distance, where a dark outline would be too crisp for the purpose and should be avoided.   I suppose I would call this alum technique as a "soft bone" technique.  Obviously this required planning;  the tree trunks were among the first items to be painted with alum.

The bamboo areas in the left midriff portion seemed a little flat.  I tried to paint in a few more leaves but that looked really cluttered and was concealing my brushstrokes, so I backed off.  I settled on selectively darkening certain areas to give it a lumpy look, to get  more depth in that cluster.


 bamboo treatment

The creek still looked too open ended for me.  I would like the bottom part to close off some more.  I also wanted to warm up the foreground somewhat, to subtly draw it out further from the background.  Harking back to Photoshop tricks, I decided to add a warming filter by painting a very diluted  and light yellow color over the lower half of the landscape, and the bottom end of the creek.  I was hoping the slight yellow tint on the water might work as a gradient tool to help narrow the creek somewhat.


 warming filter
 
I wish there is a way to retain this wet look.  There is so much more depth to everything.  Images just want to jump off the Xuan.

I decided to add a few ducks to this painting, or rather, to move them to different coves as compared with the original draft.   It seems like I couldn't do a painting anymore without adding a bird or heron or something.  In this case, that's what Beaverton Creek is all about.  A nature park in a city.

 ducks added
 
One of the things I like about this painting is that there are so many points of interest in it.
It invites you to explore each little snippet, to "read" the painting, as Chinese would say.
Some of these sections could stand in as a complete painting in its own right.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I need to hang this up now and  glance at it occasionally.  I'm sure something will come up for me to make corrections.

 

No comments: