Monday, August 4, 2014

"Wall" inspection

Now that the "wall" painting is done, it's time to conduct a building inspection.

I mounted the work on canvas like I usually do and put my miter saw and router into service to craft a frame.  After securing the canvas onto the frame, I turned it over and with the same eagerness as a new parent, I examined my newborn.





Well, it was kind of a let down.

I was immediately overtaken by the terse statement put forth by the frame.  It seemed too thick for this painting.  I thought the stark black paint would go well with the ample black tones in the painting but the frame seemed suffocating.

I had painted in the bottom dark bands to make the painting more grounded, but the thick frame made that move seemed redundant.  There wasn't enough empty spaces between the leak window and the bottom and this compounded the claustrophobic feel imparted by the frame.



I also noticed that the side tip brushstroke by the window was too long and did not blend in with the upper horizontal brushstroke.  This in turn created the illusion that I was painting a corner rather than a flat wall, with this brushstroke working as a light value line, denoting different light values of adjacent walls of a corner.  I wish I wasn't so carried away with my downward brush movement.

 

I do like the effect of painting lighter lines next to the branches, not only to make them look fuller, but also adding depth to them.  I could be convinced that the wisteria was casting a shadow on the wall, as opposed to  laying flat against it.

I also liked the fact that the upper tiles were not totally painted in.  The void spaces worked great with the frame and allowed breathing room.

I suppose the inspection gets a passing grade but could benefit from future design modifications.

No comments: