Friday, February 6, 2015

Bastardization

While still locked in the mode of describing those distant hills I saw while driving on the freeway, and having crusted wells of Prussian Blue along with Phthalocyanine Blue left over from the punting painting to consume, I decided to paint more hills.

The reminder I jotted for myself was simple; a dramatic fore/aft gradient and a  transition from warm to cold as the distance mounts.

Again I used the sized Xuan, keying on its tolerance to color moving and building.



After the color had dried, the painting looked very soupy. I must confess the thought of painting a dreamy landscape did cross my mind.  Perhaps not as featureless as my Glimpse painting, but nonetheless fluid.   But the rolling hills were too representational; I could not escape the realism.  The painting was begging for better definition.



Ahh, the foreground is better defined.  I also rearranged the contour lines a little.  They look less haphazard now.




I liked the way my color was bleeding from the brushstroke and I wanted to preserve those little tendrils before they are absorbed into the background. They resemble tree trunks poking out in the haze.

My hair blow-dryer came to the rescue.

The sized Xuan had a pinkish tint to it, especially against this blue theme.  My hills in the background could use a little toning down also.  I debated hard about using titanium white for this purpose.
I was taught by my first teachers to never use titanium white in landscape paintings.  Streams and rivers and clouds and mist are just virgin real estate on the paper.  I should never consider titanium white as a color.  The only exceptions were when mixing with other color to paint flower petals for example; especially the two-toned ones.  How dare I entertain such evil thoughts; first by using a hair blow-dryer, and now using white to mask colors? 

I am bastardizing the painting.



Time to say my Rosary and beg for forgiveness.  I had only good intentions.  I just wanted to experiment.

Now I shall be at peace with myself and see if I should commit the next cardinal sin of painting a flock of geese over this landscape.

No comments: