Saturday, March 31, 2018

Why Waste An Etude

I am aware that I'm not preparing a musical piece,  I'm just trying to use the word Etude in a generic sense, if there is one.  So forgive me, si vous plait, musicians.

Since I was not unhappy with the landscape piece I prepared for my painting demo, I decided to mount it using my Sulio Xuan Ban technique ( mounting Xuan on plastic boards ).

The painting is first moistened to relax the fibers.  Wet Xuan is like wet kleenex, thus we have to allow it to dry slowly.  Handling a dripping wet Xuan is committing suicide.


In the mean time, iron on the silicone film onto the plastic board


Now trim a piece of blank Xuan and iron onto the film of silicone that was just ironed onto the plastic.  I used a regular iron for the initial tack, then a smaller model iron to tackle the stubborn creases.




This view shows the affixed blank Xuan on the backside of the plastic.  This is going to be used as the white balance sheet for the translucent Xuan painting. 





Using this blank on the bottom as a positioning guide, carefully place the dried, wrinkle free painting on the topside of the plastic board.  This is then ironed into place. ( another layer of silicone should have be tacked on the top side of the plastic first)



Now gently run the hand over the ironed on painting to feel for obvious air pockets and loose spots


Shine a light at a low angle onto the painting to better reveal air pockets


Using a pin to poke holes into these pockets


After re-heating with the iron over these pockets, press a rubber ball over the area with firm pressure avoiding  inadvertent damage to the delicate Xuan.



Measure 3 times and cut once, time to build my custom frame out of poplar


Rough fitting for insurance


Staining the custom frame with the same ink I paint with


The stained frame is then smoothed out with steel wool, re-stained, and finished with a clear wood finish.

Looks nice hanging on my wall.  Almost professional!

No comments: