Thursday, January 6, 2022

The outreached hand

I am getting ready to install the final member of my cast of 16 vestal virgins.

I am fixated by the phrase "one of the sixteen vestal virgins who were leaving for the coast" and I have sort of developed a narrative for this painting that I am attempting, hoping to identify the reason why these vestals are leaving.  Therefore I need to instill some notion to signify that they are leaving.

I am assigning this role to this last member.  I am painting her propping her torso up with one arm and reaching out with the other.  I suppose one can interpret that as crying out for help, or she is in the act of crawling away and seeking consolation at the same time.

 


I am depicting her with her hair strewn down in front of her bare shoulders to add to that distressed, demented appearance.  I believe I have watched one too many horror psycho movies. 


The out screeched phalanges add drama and movement to the figure, and they are in direct contrast to the obscured fingers from the other hand.

I am quite enamored with the vibes emanating from the simple silhouette so I have decided to leave this vestal alone and not to adorn her with too many wavy lines. 

In my mind at least, this last member of the assembly gives some reference to the word "leaving".

No comments: